Abstract

The study was conducted on the fish farmer, which was situated at Chaugachha Upazila, Jashore, from October 2015 to April 2016. Data were collected using participatory rural appraisal (PRA) tools and personal observation. About 62% of the farmers have ponds of single, and 38% have multiple ownership. The homestead and commercial ponds were 79% and 21%, respectively. About 100% farmer carried out poly-culture fish farming though they did not know poly-culture just culture of various fishes. About 98% of the farmers control aquatic weeds manually. For controlling undesirable species, most of them (95.74%) used the netting method. Liming used 185.3-247 kg/ha and organic fertilizer, mainly cow dung used 741-1235 kg/ha. Average stocking density was found to be 12326 fry/ha. 91.5% of the farmers applied supplementary feed, such as both rice-bran and mustard oil-cake. The peak harvesting period was found from December to January. In this season, around 65% of the stocked fishes were reported to harvest, and the rest of the fish (35%) was harvested during another season. The average annual yield of fish was 4085.4 kg/ha. About 36.17%, 10.64%, 25.53%, respondent’s poor technical knowledge, identified fish disease, insufficient water during the dry season, most problems, respectively. The total annual cost of fish production was Tk. 169645.72/ha. The findings of this study suggested that developed strategic plans should be initiated immediately for improving fish production.

How to Cite
RASAL ALI, B.M. NEWAZ SHARIF, Md.. Fish Production Technology of Small Scale Fish Farmers at Chaugachha Upazila under Jashore District of Bangladesh. Global Journal of Science Frontier Research, [S.l.], may 2020. ISSN 2249-4626. Available at: <https://journalofscience.org/index.php/GJSFR/article/view/2673>. Date accessed: 29 sep. 2020.